Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:55:14 +0100
From: Martin Baum <martin.baum@...lin.de>
To:  john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: "Charset file has changed" problem

Hi.

Solar Designer schrieb:

> You need to do two things:
>
> 1. Make sure you use the same all.chr file that you did before, --
> perhaps one from a previous release of John.  The order of candidate
> passwords tried will be less optimal than that possible with the current
> version of John, but you will be able to continue the old session.

Okay, thanks. I have found a old file. It work fine again. But a note to
the Changelog, Readme or at the homepage will be a good idea, I think.

> 2. Use JtR 1.7.0.1 or newer (currently, that would be 1.7.0.2), not the
> 1.7 release.  There was a bug in 1.6.40 and the 1.7 release which could
> cause spurious "charset file changed" messages.  If the FreeBSD port is
> still not updated to 1.7.0.1+, it's time to ask the port maintainer to
> do the update (feel free to do that).

The FreeBSD port is in version john-1.7_1. But I think, this is version
1.7 only. John output 1.7, too. I write the maintainer.

Thanks for help and john. Bye ML. ;-)
  Martin