Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:11:24 +0000
From: "hadzijj qwerty" <>
Subject: Re: does john crack xp passwords correctly?

>From: Solar Designer <>
>Subject: Re: [john-users] does john crack xp passwords correctly?
>Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:07:29 +0300

>So you need to rename the section as the comment says, then run:
>john -show pwfile | cut -d: -f2- > cracked
>john -w=cracked -rules -format=nt pwfile
>The "-format=nt" requires an NTLM-patched build of John.

John cracked both parts of adiministrator's password. So I downloaded and
NTLM-patched build of John. But unfortunately it doesn't seem to do

./john -w=cracked -rules -format=nt password
Loaded 4 password hashes with no different salts (NT MD4 [TridgeMD4])
guesses: 0  time: 0:00:00:00 100%  c/s: 967784  trying: 5 PASSWORD HAShes
cracked, 3 left

And when I execute ./john --show password it doesn't show any changes to the
previous output. It looks it doesn't discover the cases of letters.