Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 23:05:19 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: SYSKEY (was: john the ripper output)

I've been asking this before, but I'll repeat:

Whenever you post something on a new topic, please be sure to post it as
an entirely new message - _not_ by hitting "Reply" on someone else's
posting.  Please also make sure to set a descriptive message Subject.

If you see that someone else has not followed this procedure, but you'd
like to comment on their message, please change the Subject (like I did
now), but do not break the existing thread (so "Reply" to the message).

My response to the actual question is below:

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:35:46PM +0530, Realin wrote:
> guyzz.. i am a new user to list, so a big hi to all.. i have been reading
> all the mails since long. well guyz need to ask u something.. I have got a
> SAM file with me.. and i wanna crack pass outta that..
>
> i know it is a noobie woobie question for u, but for me that would be an
> achievment.. i have download the binary pack from www.openwall.com and
> extracted it, there by i got two folders RUN and DOC, ofcourse i went to
> command line and tried using switches with the john-386.exe but was not able
> to get anythin useful..

This is irrelevant to your question, but you should not be using
john-386.exe on modern systems.  It is for ancient ones.

Use john-mmx.exe instead.

> Simply guide me what do i do with this JOHN if i want to get the  pass outta
> this SAM file.. it includes syskey hashes also as i got that SAM file from
> some service pack2 machine..

There's a collection of tools which you can use here:

ftp://ftp.openwall.com/pub/projects/john/contrib/win32/pwdump/

This includes programs to dump SAM files in PWDUMP format and to undo
the effect of SYSKEY.

Please let us all know which one(s) of these have worked better for you.

I don't "do" Windows myself, so I can't recommend a specific procedure
for you to follow.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar