Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 00:45:19 +0100 (CET)
From: rembrandt@...erlin.de
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john the ripper output

> the purpose, if it's cracking tonnes of passwords, I don't want to have to
> wait days or weeks to actually see the results of the ones it's already
> cracked.

Run it in a screen and then press ENTER...

godfather $ john --restore
Loaded 21 password hashes with 21 different salts (FreeBSD MD5 [32/64 X2])
guesses: 0  time: 46:05:35:51  c/s: 3824  trying: sorland - sorlan1

If it found some passwords open another screen and do a john --show &file.
Feel free to press enter as offen as you wanna know if there are new
Passwords. :-)

Kind regards,
Rembrandt

p.s.
I noticed the behavior with nohup and co too.. :-)