Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:59:30 +0100
From: Turko <granturko@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: checking only first 5 characters of a md5 hash

Thanks a lot for replies.

On 3/10/06, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 11:43:40AM +0100, Turko wrote:
> > My problem is this: I have only the first 5 characters of a md5 hash.
>
> Are those the first 5 characters of an ASCII encoding of an MD5 hash or
> the first 5 bytes of an MD5 hash?

They are taken from a  php generated hash that I m using for locale tests
on  my webserver :

$code = substr(base64_encode(md5($mykey)),0, 5);

Is this a raw MD5 hash (typically encoded as a string of 32 hexadecimal
> characters) or a FreeBSD-style MD5-based hash (typically encoded as a
> string starting with the characters "$1$")?
>
> How do you know it's MD5?
>
> In fact, can you simply share those 5 characters with us?

> Is it possible telling John to check only them during the crack?
>
> No.  John normally operates on internal representations of hashes, not
> on ASCII encodings (the ASCII encodings are decoded at load time) - so
> making it operate on only certain characters of the encoding is
> non-trivial.
>
> > I mean, is correct the idea that checking only the first 5 is better
> then
> > all others ?
>
> I don't understand this idea/question.
>
> > Many keys can be encrypted and having the same first 5
> > characters so it would be faster then cracking all 16 right?
>
> Yes, you might find a password that produces the right first 5
> characters or bytes quicker.  This won't necessarily be the original
> password.  If the target system only checks those 5 characters or bytes,
> then any password you can find in this way will be as good as the
> original one.

ok, is what I hope ; )

On the other hand, if the target system checks the entire MD5 hash - of
> which you only have the first 5 characters of an ASCII encoding or the
> first 5 bytes - then many or most passwords you might find won't work to
> login to the system.
>
> With typical users' passwords, 5 characters of a hex-encoding (20 bits)
> might not be enough to identify just the original password (and no other
> realistic passwords producing the same 5 characters), whereas 5 bytes of
> the hash itself (40 bits) will likely be enough.
>
> > How can I tell John to get the substring of the hash and checking only
> its 5
> > chars?
>
> That would require a source code patch.

is it hard to write? Maybe I can try...but how ?

If you only need this done once, it might be quicker for you to write a
> Perl script that would use Digest::MD5 and accept a stream of candidate
> passwords on the standard input.  Then use "john ... --stdout" to feed
> candidate passwords to this Perl script.

Mhhmmm, I m not an expert programmer as you can imagine...So the steps are:

1- Writing a script that receives ascii passwords from John,
2- encrypt them,
3- and then check the first 5 characters of the hash (right ?)

.Thanks a lot.