Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:23:28 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR 1.7 f. Win with NTLM-Hashes

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 01:01:09PM +0100, thomas springer wrote:
> I don't know if all of you are aware of this, but there is an NTLM
> (MD4)-Patch for John 1.7 embedded in the "Jumbo Patch" at
> http://www.openwall.com/john/contrib/john-1.7-all-3.diff.gz.
>
> So far so good.
>
> After applying the Jumbo-Patch on Cygwin, compilation failed on some
> parts (kerberos and other).

Most likely, you did not have libdes installed.  Some of the patches
included in the jumbo patch require libdes.

FWIW, I think someone (Erik?) should update the patch to compile with
OpenSSL instead of with the standalone libdes.  This should be trivial
to do.  It is far more common to readily have OpenSSL installed.

> Compiling worked after ripping out a few
> parts - the patched version is undocumented (have to look at the
> patchcode to get the correct format-options), but works fine and fast
> on LM and NTLM-Hashes.
>
> Did anybody got to compile the complete Jumbo-Patch with JtR 1.7 under Windows?
>
> I'll be happy to release a binary and at least rudimentary documented
> patched windows-binary, but maybe somebody else got the "whole thing"
> to work?

If you submit it (or if someone else does), I'd be happy to include such
a Windows binary in contrib.

Thanks,

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar