Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 01:25:35 +0000 (UTC)
From:  Radim Horak <>
Subject:  GPU acceleration?

Hi everybody,
maybe this is totally crazy idea, but I'm quite sober, so let me start with this
citation that summarizes my inspiration:

"The SM3.0 GPUs have become general and powerful enough to perform a broader
range of computations – beyond the role of pure graphical shading for which they
were initially used."

So the 2 big questions for programmers are:
1] Is it feasible/plausible to use SM3 GPU for password cracking?
2] If yes, would S.D. or anybody consider implementing it in john?

Supplemental SM3 informations:
- Shader Model v.3 graphics accelerators include these widespread models:
nVidia 6x00 and 7x00 line, ATI Xx00 line
- They incorporate good parallelism
- the length of the shader programs is not limited
- technology development cycles of GPUs are faster than CPUs
- The upcoming Unified shader model should be even more universal
- high level languages: HLSL and Cg
- They are connected with fast 3-4 GBs PCI-express bus

My naive idea is, that the generated password candidates could be stored in
texture formats (texture pixel can be represented as 4 bytes (RGBA), so psw.
candidate/hash could "use" 2-4 pixels.), than encrypted/processed with pixel
and/or vertex shader programs, then find the matches...

Relevant links, programming documentation: