Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:36:54 -0600
From: Mark Shaw <mnshaw@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Custom .chr files w/o .pot

Hello,

Is it possible to create a custom .chr file without first having any
cracked passwords?

For a rather involved reason, I'm trying to crack my own password.
I know the length, and some characters that are defnitely present,
and some that are definitely not.  I'd like to exploit this knowledge
to run an incremental crack using a reduced character set.

Alternately, can I just use all.chr and somehow tell john not to
use certain characters?  Would this have any real effect on run
time?

Thanks for any info.

Mark Shaw