Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:44:35 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Dupes recognition based on internal representation of ciphertext?

Frank (and others),

It's been some months, but I've finally included a (somewhat limited)
solution for this problem into 1.6.40.  I might do it better after 1.7.

The new rules for JtR patches implementing hashes with case-insensitive
encodings are as follows:

1. valid() should allow for lower/upper/mixed case to be used in the
case-insensitive portions of the encodings.

2. split() must unify the case of hash encodings, typically by
converting them to all-lowercase (except for case-sensitive portions,
if any).

3. The new flag FMT_SPLIT_UNIFIES_CASE must be set.

Those implementing this kind of patches to JtR may wish to review the
changes I've applied to LM_fmt.c between JtR 1.6.39 and 1.6.40 for an
example:

	http://cvsweb.openwall.com/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/Owl/packages/john/john/src/LM_fmt.c.diff?r1=1.1;r2=1.3

Thanks,

--