Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:26:45 +0400
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: Re: CHange-Request

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:22:32PM +0200, wrote:
> As far as I can see John isn't able to decrypt a SAM-File wich is
> protected by SYSKEY.

John relies on external (third-party) tools to provide the LM hashes in
PWDUMP format.

> BKHIVE is an OpenSOurce-Tool wich uses the
> "system"-file to use the SYSKEY (wich is stored at the HDD by default) to
> decrypt the SAM (so that it isn't protected with syskey anymore).
> Is it possible that John could adapt this functionality like john uses
> "unshadow" to merge the passwd and shadow files?

This kind of Windows-specific functionality is not currently planned.

> If you need the Sourcecode I'm able to e-Mail it to you.
> The original website is down because the student who wrote the software
> isn't student anymore.
> The Archiv dosn't include any License.

Actually, the copy of the source code for BKHIVE that I found has a
license statement in every source file.  There's one serious

        You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

This is sufficient to prevent the inclusion of this code in John, since
I do not want to similarly disallow commercial uses of John.

However, re-coding this wouldn't be hard.

Alexander Peslyak <solar at>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598 - bringing security into open computing environments

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: