Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:19:00 +0200
From: dvorak <dvorak@...all.nl>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Suggestions for XEON performance?

Hi,

> (I am planning to add "linux-x86-sse-elf" which would be the right
> choice for P4s.  With that, they would become only a little bit slower
> than P3s per-MHz.  Stay tuned.)

Is there a place where such future features are listed, since i started to
look into this as well since i didn't find a reference, but maybe i should
just ask the list.

> C compiler flags are largely irrelevant when most of the performance
> critical code is written in assembly right away.
>
> > Also should I use gcc 3.4 or 4.0?
>
> It shouldn't matter.

For the assembly stuff that is, on a P4 i noticed that gcc 3.4 uses very slow
memset implementations (rep stosd iirc). But i guess most (if not all)
performance critical loops are in assembly anyways.

gtx.
  dvorak