Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:35:24 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Problems applying mscash patch

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 10:10:53AM +0100, Daryl G Bamforth wrote:
> > > This time I get the error
> > > fopen: ./all.chr: No such file or directory
[...]
> A quick grep of john.conf comes up with this "File = $JOHN/all.chr" and
> also alpha, digits and lanman.  Any reason these are not included in the
> john-1.6.37 version?

Yes, there are a few reasons (excuses?) -

1. I don't want to force people to download the same files over and over
with each minor update to the development versions.

2. John is currently being developed as a part of Owl.  This means that
all of its latest source code lives in the Owl CVS repository.  I do not
want binary files to be stored there.  And it is convenient for me to
distribute the exact same tarballs that are formed during Owl builds.

But I might re-consider this...

> Pulled them from 1.6, are there any compatibility problems between
> them that your aware of?

There are no compatibility issues between *.chr files for John 1.6 and
current 1.6.x development versions.

In John 1.6.37 and 1.6.38, the README says:

"There're no charset files included with development versions of John.
You're supposed to take them from John 1.6 distribution."

1.6.39+ and 1.7 are going to have this in the FAQ instead of the notice
in the README:

Q: I am getting the error "fopen: ./all.chr: No such file or directory".
Q: Where are the charset files?
A: Development versions of John the Ripper might not include the charset
files.  You're supposed to take them out of the latest official release.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598

Was I helpful?  Please give your feedback here: http://rate.affero.net/solar