Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 02:22:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lyn Scott <lindey_scott@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: understanding the encryption method

--- Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> The traditional DES-based crypt(3) hashes discard
> characters past 8.
> This means that your password really _is_ "my_passw"
> (using your
> example), even if you think that it is "my_passwd".
> The last "d" was
> discarded when you first set that password, and it
> is discarded each
> time you enter it on login (so you could as well not
> type that character,
> or type something different).

Now i am a little confused... that means if i try to
login using "user_1" as user and "my_passw" instead of
"my_passwd"...it should work? That also means that i
can use "my_passwx" or "my_pass12345" for the password
and it should work too?  I try to login with
"my_passw" and "my_passwx" but... it doesn't work.
It only works with "my_passwd"!!