Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:06:16 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Exclude items from test vectors for --test

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 01:00:46PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> Am 25.07.2018 um 12:57 schrieb Frank Dittrich:
> >If the number of SHA512 blocks gets added as a 2nd tunable cost (in
> >addition to iteration count), then it should be possible to filter the
> >hashes using the --cost switch.
>
> I should have considered that the number of blocks also depends on
> password length, not just salt length. So this approach probably doesn't
> work.

Yes, and this wasn't Denis' question anyway, or at least not the
question I had brought to him in private e-mail before.  What we need is
for "--test" to produce meaningful results by default, without any
"--cost" option.  Right now, for sha512crypt-ztex it says it's
benchmarking for iteration count 5000, but the actual benchmark is for a
mix of different iteration counts (and maybe a mix of different password
lengths too).  This is a bug that we need to fix.

Alexander