Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 08:18:36 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux x86_64

On 2017-10-26 22:05, magnum wrote:
> On 2017-10-26 21:42, Solar Designer wrote:
>> magnum, we have this weird make rule:
>>
>> %.cl:    | ../run/kernels
>>     $(CP) $< ../run/kernels
>>
>> Do we really need it like that?  I'm not familiar with that trick, and
>> couldn't easily find it in documentation - the '|' character isn't in
>> the index here:
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Concept-Index.html#Concept-Index
>>

> I can't even remember what it does... we need to figure that out >.<

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Prerequisite-Types.html

Without the pipe sign, a changed timestamp on ../run/kernels would
trigger an unwanted "rebuild" of the target (since a directory's
timestamp will change whenever a file is put there). We just need
../run/kernels to exist at all.

magnum