Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 21:42:53 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux x86_64

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 09:15:32PM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 03:39:52PM +0200, altr@...2.de wrote:
> > GNU Make 3.80
>
> OK, we might try to reproduce the problem with that.

I just did: the problem manifests itself just like this when using GNU
Make 3.80, but goes away with 3.81.

magnum, we have this weird make rule:

%.cl:	| ../run/kernels
	$(CP) $< ../run/kernels

Do we really need it like that?  I'm not familiar with that trick, and
couldn't easily find it in documentation - the '|' character isn't in
the index here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Concept-Index.html#Concept-Index

Maybe we can avoid it to relax the GNU Make version requirement?

Alternatively, we can use this test as an opportunity to document the
exact minimum version of GNU Make we require in jumbo - now we know it's
3.81 or newer.

Alexander