Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:21:36 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 4 failing tests for ppc64 big-endian

Hi Michel,

Thank you for reporting these issues to us, and for offering help.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 11:04:16AM +0100, Normand wrote:
> I experienced 4 test failures while doing build of john package on openSUSE
> (1)
> for ppc64 (64 bits big-endian) or ppc (32 bits big-endian)
> As detailed in (2) I am using the latest jumboversion john-1.7.9-jumbo-7
> version

1.7.9-jumbo-7 is not the latest.

The latest jumbo release is 1.8.0-jumbo-1, as listed on JtR homepage.
Unfortunately, to compile it on non-x86 you need this tiny patch:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2014/12/18/21

Development has since proceeded thousands of commits ahead, and we're
close to releasing 1.8.0-jumbo-2 (or possibly 1.8.1-jumbo-1, if 1.8.1 is
released sooner).  You may obtain the latest code with:

git clone https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper jumbo

> Any suggestion on how to investigate such failures ?

In general, it's tricky to investigate endianness bugs.  Short of making
a lucky educated guess as to where the problem is (which does happen),
you'd have to introduce debugging output throughout the computation and
see where it starts to differ between little- and big-endian builds.

In this particular case, though, chances are that those specific issues
are already fixed - so please re-test with the latest from GitHub first.
It is also likely that entirely new issues have since been introduced.

Last summer, Lei Zhang worked with us under GSoC 2015 on adding more use
of AltiVec intrinsics to jumbo.  You could want to test this, too.
In fact, the configure script should autodetect AltiVec and use it.

> PS: Is there a way to retrieve as one file the all john-devel ML to ease
> grep of previous discussions ?

ezmlm-idx allows you to retrieve 100 messages at a time (via e-mail),
but not the entire thing at once.

You may also use Gmane's search feature here:

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.openwall.john.devel

(and advanced search on the next page, after submitting a search query).

You may also use Google web search like this:

site:openwall.com jumbo ppc

Alexander