Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 01:07:13 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: "Illegal instruction" error on

On 2015-10-24 00:34, magnum wrote:
> On 2015-10-24 00:09, magnum wrote:
>> On 2015-10-23 22:00, Solar Designer wrote:
>>> The core JtR tree checks for AVX at runtime and fails gracefully if
>>> it's built for AVX but the system (the CPU and/or the kernel) lacks
>>> AVX support.  Ditto for XOP (and even for SSE2 in 32-bit builds).
>>> Or have we broken that in jumbo, maybe along with autoconf'ing it?
>>> This is worth checking.
>>
>> I tried these on well:
>> a) make -sj8 -f Makefile.legacy linux-x86-64-xop
>> b) ./configure CFLAGS="-g -O2 -mxop" --disable-native-tests && make -sj8
>>
>> Regardless whether autoconf'ed or using legacy Makefile, Jumbo produces
>> the "Sorry, XOP is required for this build". I also tried reverting to
>> the very same version as Kali 4.0.0 seem to have used and this still
>> works. But we've got reports from several places that it doesn't work
>> for AVX (with Jumbo, at least).
>
> Found the problem. When I supplied CFLAGS as above, the reciepe for
> john.o got them too but with a pure autoconf with nothing given, we did
> not supply any -mavx for that very target. The intentions were good but
> not the result: We did not get any CPU_DETECT from arch.h...

Now we're passing -DJOHN_AVX or -DJOHN_XOP as needed. Actually we'll
also pass -DJOHN_AVX2 or -DJOHN_SSSE3 or whatever is applicable so as
soon as core gets eg. an AVX2 check, it should work right away even with
autoconf.

I'll see if I can figure out how to check for AVX2 and beat Solar to
it... it oughta be better than Sudoku.

OT: I wonder why my Thunderbird MUA insists on truncating this subject line.

magnum