Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:51:02 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: SMT (was: SHA-1 H())

Lei,

I just came across a recently posted article on this very topic:
performance scaling with POWER8's SMT (albeit in context of the
different reporting on AIX vs. Linux):

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-processor-utilization-difference-aix-lop-trs/index.html

"Simultaneous multithreading (SMT) performance characterization shown in
Figure 6 is taken from the IBM POWER8 specification.  This figure shows
that SMT8 provides 2.2 times better performance compared to single
threaded on POWER8."

The article also mentions that "a single-threaded application" run "on
an IBM POWER7 SMT4 system" "shows the core utilization as approximately
63% to 65%".

So the expected speedup when going from 1 thread/core to 8 threads/core
on POWER8 is 2.2 times, and the expected speedup when going from 1
thread/core to 4 threads/core on POWER7 is 1.5 to 1.6 times.  Of course,
actual speedup will vary by application.

Alexander

P.S. I don't normally top-post, but it's one of those rare cases where I
find this appropriate - needing to quote a lot of context, yet not
wanting to keep it above the new content.  So here goes: