Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 22:58:38 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GPU-side mask vs. tens of millions of hashes

Sayantan,

I got the idea to test a really large number of hashes with GPU-side
mask (primarily to stress-test the new FMT_REMOVE code), and it bailed
ungracefully:

$ ../run/john 25m_md5.in -form:raw-md5-opencl -mask:?a -min-len=3 -max-len=6
Device 0: GeForce GTX TITAN X
Loaded 24917564 password hashes with no different salts (Raw-MD5-opencl
[MD5 OpenCL])
128 bit add overflow.

Is this an expected outcome, or is 25 million hashes supposed to work
fine? If it's not supposed to work, what is the design maximum? Perhaps
we can bail out with a bit more finesse, eg. telling the user a max.?

oclHashcat supports "up to 100 million hashes". I'm not sure we need to
support that, but it wouldn't hurt.

magnum