Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 02:52:50 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: plaintext truncation

On 2015-09-01 18:23, magnum wrote:
> On 2015-08-13 20:57, Solar Designer wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 09:09:06PM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
>>> To implement this, we probably need to introduce a new format flag.
>>> Should we call it FMT_TRUNC?  And what should it mean - target system's
>>> truncation or JtR's truncation at a length below the target system's?

>> When that flag is not set, JtR will no longer truncate (it will skip),
>> so the name FMT_TRUNC will make sense (truncate when this flag is set,
>> and do not truncate but rather skip when it is not).

> This is now implemented (3701702). The following formats got FMT_TRUNC
> as of now: DEScrypt, bcrypt, LM, tripcode, nethalflm, netlm, PST, RACF,
> sapb and VNC.
>
> Some more may need it but these should be the most important ones.

I just realized we want -stdout's "format" to be FMT_TRUNC too so I
fixed that. Now we can choose at run-time:

$ echo halloween | ../run/john -pipe -stdout=5
hallo
1p 0:00:00:00 0.00% 3.448p/s hallo

$ echo halloween | ../run/john -pipe -stdout -max-len=5
0p 0:00:00:00 0.00% 0p/s

BTW I suggest you refactor the "static struct fmt_main dummy_format"
that stdout uses, to something that isn't confused with -format:dummy. I
don't want to do it in Jumbo only, it should come from core.

magnum