Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 14:36:00 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: prince mode and rules

On 2015-09-17 13:42, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 09/17/2015 01:38 PM, magnum wrote:
>> I see no mechanism for doing this (and ending up with a pruned list of
>> rules to use). If there is one we should use it in wordlist mode too.
>
> I guess, so far such a mechanism wasn't needed.
> Even in batch mode, you'd usually use List.Rules:Single for single mode,
> and List.Rules:Wordlist for wordlist mode, and john would process each
> of these sections just once.
> So we may need to invent it.
>
>> The logging is bad and should be dropped,
>
> I think the logging should be just once (outside the loop).

Have a look at 7eaf415. What I do is process (and log) the rules once,
putting the accepted rules in a list. In the hot loop I just walk that list.

This is 8x faster so was very welcome. Still, without rules I get 35M
c/s and with rules I only get about 8M c/s. I can't see how to make it
faster now?

Speed measured using:

	../run/john -stdout --prince -v:1 -prog=10 [-rules]

magnum