Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 21:13:15 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Encoding (was: Re: Judy array)

On 2015-09-15 20:41, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 07:32:06PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> Why is -enc=raw not the default, again?  Especially if common wisdom
> appears to be to use it every time unless there's a reason not to.

There was, is and will be pros and cons no matter how we do it.

I now changed the performance-threatening "DefaultInternalEncoding" to
be disabled by default. That should be a fair compromise. For non-UTF-16
formats or ASCII-only use, this is practically the same as -enc:raw.

Please try that same test on your slow gear, using a commented-out
DefaultInternalEncoding instead of supplying -enc:raw. I think/hope it
will give you the same performance.

magnum