Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 08:28:18 -0700
From: Fred Wang <waffle.contest@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Judy array

On Sep 15, 2015, at 8:22 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
>> but in real-life it's not a problem. This is a contrived test.
>
> A contrived test, yes, but if we manage to handle even contrived cases
> like this well, we might end up improving handling of more common cases
> as well.

This is *a* test.  It is "contrived" only so far as I chose a repeatable, fixed set of files.  The data was real, however, and is very representative of the types of files I process.

To load 26M (uncontrived, actual number) of bcrypt hashes into John takes, literally, many hours.  Not to crack, just to load.  Using my approach on bcrypt, I solved approximately 60,000 bcrypts in the time it took for John to load the file.

Improving the handling of these common cases will absolutely improve the performance of John, for virtually every hash type.