Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 18:22:41 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Judy array

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 09:45:51AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 2015-09-15 03:03, Solar Designer wrote:
> >magnum - testing this stuff, I see that pot sync is a major bottleneck.
>
> Does it look like pot sync is slower than processing "our own" cracks?

Yes, it's a lot slower than processing of the process' own cracks.
However, I didn't compare it against processing of john.pot records on

> It shouldn't, it uses all the same gears in the box. Of course, with
> -fork=8 it will spend 8x more time processing cracks,

It appeared way worse than 8x in my testing.  With a large pot file
buffer, the processes would become unresponsive for tens of seconds and
would move way down in "top", leaving idle CPU time (weird).  Oh, maybe
that's because you acquire a lock on the pot file while reading it?
You shouldn't need to: you may instead lock, save the file size in a
variable, unlock, and then read up to the recorded size (it'd be a whole
number of pot file records then).  Or you may read without locking at
all, as long as you ignore the last partial line (easy to detect: if
it's not containing a colon, it's not complete enough for pot sync).

> but in real-life it's not a problem. This is a contrived test.

A contrived test, yes, but if we manage to handle even contrived cases
like this well, we might end up improving handling of more common cases
as well.

> >Since this is your feature, you might want to benchmark and optimize it
> >some more, or/and maybe we just want it disabled by default when cracking
> >saltless hashes.  As it is, it's just not able to handle Fred's "about
> >1.7 million solutions" in a minute - it takes several minutes to process
> >those guesses, so it becomes the primary bottleneck for the whole run.
>
> I'll verify that we don't have some regression in there, I did spend a
> lot of time optimizing it.

Thanks!

Alexander