Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 00:42:53 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: wordlist mode fine-tuning

On 2015-09-11 22:46, magnum wrote:
> On 2015-09-11 22:22, Solar Designer wrote:
>> magnum -
>>
>> We don't appear to have convenient ways to:
>>
>> Disable wordlist dupe suppression.
>>
>> Disable use of mmap even when the system has it.
>>
>> Perhaps we should have them.  I just needed them for trying to figure
>> out where a performance bottleneck I'm observing is.
>
> I thought we only did dupe suppression when asked, but I guess there
> might also be a mess of implied "asked". I'll have a a look within 48h.

I added a config option WordlistMemoryMap that defaults to Y.

The dupe-supression (when not asked for) is implied with the "load
wordfile into memory" stuff (unrelated to mmap, this is the thing we had
long before that. It kicks in when rules are used, for wordlists smaller
than -mem-file-size (default 5 MB). Setting some low value like
-mem-file-size=1 will disable it. Zero won't do, because that means "no
limit".

magnum