Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 13:40:50 -0500
From: JimF <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: auditing our use of FMT_* flags

These formats 100% handle this flag properly.  They just do not set it
into their
format structure in a static manner.   If you add it (certainly can), it
will not make
it any more or less likely to actually honor the flag setting in the end.
It is set and honored because of the way which dynamic works. I HAVE to
handle this programmatically within dynamic, because I do not know which
formats can/should have it set until I see them. Dyna will always set
this flag,
UNLESS it can not, such as a base-64 hash, or IIRC a couple other instances.
So when the the 'thin' format passes it's format structure to the function
within dynamic which actually 'links' dynamic to the format structure
(setting
function pointers, setting lengths and other params), this flag is handled,
based upon what dynamic can glean from the format itself.

This particular issue was talked through fully a while back (month ago?)

 > I expect that we have many formats that don't handle

I think that expectation is likely not valid. Kai did find a couple, but
most
of this was cleaned up by Frank, the resident bug sniffer last fall.