Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 20:46:55 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Johnny v2.2 , GSoC and the future

Hi list,

Johnny version 2.2 has been released and marks the end of the combined efforts as part of this summer's GSoC.

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2015/08/24/5

We managed to handle most of the big tasks planned for this summer and Johnny was mostly rewritten from the grounds up in terms of logic and internals, to make room for easy extensibility and proofing for the long-term. A dozen long-standing features have been implemented, cross-platform compatibility issues resolved and about a handful of critical JtR jumbo integrations achieved. The UI has also received quite an improvement in terms of usability, robustness and finicky details. See the development roadmap for a complete picture:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny-roadmap

The results of Mathieu's efforts were successfully packaged in three releases, starting with 2.0, to mark a fresh reboot for Johnny.

https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/releases

I think the Johnny GUI front-end is in such a position now that it should start receiving official endorsements as being "the" frontend/GUI for John the Ripper. I've already started making moves in that regard, let me know if any of you disagree on that matter. This is important for many aspects, like gaining traction, which results in crowd-sourced test and debug efforts, probing features and direction against users and assuring a future for the project. Johnny has a wiki page, which should be considered as Johnny's home page, use it when recommending Johnny:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny

This is important and was an issue during this summer, we received little real feedback, but then I'm not sure we could have handled more that we had on the plate, nonetheless I'm pretty sure there are issues lurking around waiting to be discovered and acted upon. There are a couple unresolved issues like more interactive coupling with JtR(std buffering issues), default john format conflicts, console log improvements(only attack client log is available now), and some potential usability concerns, that didn't find a resolution yet.

Thanks again Mathieu for your important and dedicated contribution to Johnny and the Openwall/JtR community, it is much appreciated and we hope to hear from you from time to time.

I have to get back to the roadmap plan, figure it out from this point onwards and continue attending and herding the project, at a much relaxed pace of course.

Regards,
Shinnok

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 10:38 PM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> I'd like to thanks Shinnok and all other people on the john-dev list that helped me this summer in my GSOC project. The v2.2 release announcement can be found at http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2015/08/24/5 <http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2015/08/24/5>

Content of type "text/html" skipped