Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 04:28:01 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: BENCHMARK_LENGTH bugs

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 09:16:00AM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> I think I misunderstood the "slow" which I thought it was the formats
> whose real speed was small. As magnum said, the "slow" means
> the speedup from "Only one salt" to "Many salts" is less than 1-2%.

No, you understood "slow" correctly, but as we've seen not every slow
format has small difference between "Only one salt" and "Many salts".

> But there are many formats whose benchmark_length is '-1', and they
> only have "Raw" speed. How to judge whether these formats are slow?

You may temporarily set their benchmark_length to 0 and see, or better
yet your --test-full code may effectively do that without changing
anything in the format params.

Alexander