Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:45:48 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Johnny v2.1 and beyond

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
wrote:

> 2) Do we hardcode the format based on the latest jumbo or ... ?

The *2john support task is longer than we thought. We can't just prompt a
dialog to select the file and run the script on it. Some scripts takes 1
parameter, others 2 and some even require options like -i --json etc..
Do a generic UI that won't adapt and put all generic fields like input file
1, input 2, parameter 1(only generic words, no case by case) have
advantages over the command line script which show USAGE for each ?

As I see it, a nice UI would do :
User checks unshadow :
DATABASE-FILE : LineEdit + Browse button
CELL-NAME LineEdit only
---------
User checks Mozilla, previous files disappear and this appears :
key3.db file(s) : LineEdit + Browse button
----------
User check LastPass
Email adress : LineEdit
LastPass *._lpall.slps file : LineEdit + Browse button

We have like 60 2*john scripts with a lot of case by case to do if we want
to have something polished that will compete against command line usage and
help not-experience user. That seems hard to do in the left time. Do we
need an intuitive UI like that or do you have something more generic in
mind that would be better than command line usage ? You can see my current
UI in my branch.

Content of type "text/html" skipped