Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 20:13:15 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: phpass on CPU, aka dynamic_17

magnum, Jim, Lei -

As you are aware, unfortunately, disabling OpenMP for dynamic_* at
compile-time currently also applies to the phpass format (aka
dynamic_17), even though it is slow and should be scalable... but
surprisingly shows only 3.68 out of 10.0 at the test I just ran?!
(Lei's benchmarks on MIC also show this format behaving unexpectedly
poorly.)

Maybe you can look into getting both issues fixed: improving this
format's scalability and allowing for including OpenMP for it even when
other dynamic_* formats are built OpenMP-less?

Maybe we should simply (re-)create a separate phpass format, not
building upon the dynamic formats framework?  IIRC, we had one before.

Alexander