Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 16:03:43 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: auditing our use of FMT_* flags (was: more robustness)

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:30:43AM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 08:57:29AM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> >> 2. FMT_CASE
> >>
> >>     2.2 formats have set FMT_CASE but all passwords are
> >>           case-insensitive
> >>
> >>         OpenVMS
> >
> > In uaf_encode.c: uaf_test_password() we have:
> >
> >     if ( pwd->flags & UAI$M_PWDMIX ) {  /* take password verbatim */
> >         password_dx.dsc$a_pointer = (char *) password;
> >     } else {
> >         /*
> >          * Upcase password.
> >          */
> >         password_dx.dsc$a_pointer = uc_password;
> >         if ( password_dx.dsc$w_length > sizeof(uc_password) )
> >                 password_dx.dsc$w_length = sizeof(uc_password);
> >         for ( i = 0; i < password_dx.dsc$w_length; i++ )
> >                 uc_password[i] = toupper ( ARCH_INDEX(password[i]) );
> >     }
> >
> > So it's not that simple.  Can you try to come up with and add test
> > vectors that would exercise the "else" code path?
>
> The current test vectors DO go through the "else" code path. Do you
> want me to test the "if" code path ?

Oh, you're right.  If this format initially appeared to you to be
case-insensitive, then only the "else" path was being used.

> I add one test vector for vms which goes through the "if" code path.
>
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/pull/1661/files
>
> #define MAX_KEYS_PER_CRYPT 1
> static struct fmt_tests tests[] = {
> + {"$V$S44zI913bBx-UJrcFSC------D", "President#44"},
> {"$V$9AYXUd5LfDy-aj48Vj54P-----", "USER"},
> {"$V$p1UQjRZKulr-Z25g5lJ-------", "service"},
> {NULL}
>
> The old test vectors go through the "else" code path, so I thought
> it should not set FMT_CASE, the new test vector goes through
> the "if" code path, and it does case-sensitive. So vms should set
> FMT_CASE, no need to change.

This looks good to me, thanks!

Maybe just add a comment near the test vectors, explaining that some are
case-insensitive and some are case-sensitive, and that we're setting
FMT_CASE because for some of the supported hashes the passwords are
case-sensitive?

Alexander