Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 13:54:46 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --test-full=0 crashes the Bitcoin format

Kai,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:06:26AM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> I keep it running for a day because Agnieszka wanted me to keep running
> a job and he needs that to debug. Sorry for the inconvenience. Agnieszka
> still need me to run my before I went to bed, so I kept it running.

Agnieszka has now pointed out that you misunderstood her.  So I've just
killed the process, finally.

> I did reproduce the crash by "--test-full=0 --format=bitcoin". And the crash
> information seems the same with yours.

This is unexpected, but it's great!  So, do you now have sufficient
information to pinpoint the issue?

> I can not explain why the process tends to consume exactly 1700%.
> I did this:
>
> $ ./configure --enable-asan
> $ make -sj8
> $ ./loop.sh
>
> The content of loop.sh is below:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> c=1
> i=0
>
> while [ $c -le 100000 ]
> do
>
>     echo ""
>     echo $c
>     echo ""
>     ./john --test-full=0 --format=bitcoin
>     echo ""
>     echo $?
>     echo ""
>
>     if [ $? -ne 0 ];then
> ((i++))
>     fi
>
>     ((c++))
> done
>
> echo "There are $i crashes."

The process that I saw had consumed so much CPU time that it's clear
it corresponded to just one iteration of your script above.  Maybe
there's another bug, causing the Bitcoin format to enter an infinite(?)
loop like that?

Did you expect this script to actually reach 100000 iterations before
we'd have to kill it?  Sounds unrealistic to me, given that each "./john
--test-full=0 --format=bitcoin" probably takes way more than a second
(even if doesn't enter that infinite loop, or whatever it was),
especially in a build with ASan.

Alexander