Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 10:30:43 +0800
From: Kai Zhao <loverszhao@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: auditing our use of FMT_* flags (was: more robustness)

Hi Alexander,

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 08:57:29AM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
>> 2. FMT_CASE
>>
>>     2.2 formats have set FMT_CASE but all passwords are
>>           case-insensitive
>>
>>         OpenVMS
>
> In uaf_encode.c: uaf_test_password() we have:
>
>     if ( pwd->flags & UAI$M_PWDMIX ) {  /* take password verbatim */
>         password_dx.dsc$a_pointer = (char *) password;
>     } else {
>         /*
>          * Upcase password.
>          */
>         password_dx.dsc$a_pointer = uc_password;
>         if ( password_dx.dsc$w_length > sizeof(uc_password) )
>                 password_dx.dsc$w_length = sizeof(uc_password);
>         for ( i = 0; i < password_dx.dsc$w_length; i++ )
>                 uc_password[i] = toupper ( ARCH_INDEX(password[i]) );
>     }
>
> So it's not that simple.  Can you try to come up with and add test
> vectors that would exercise the "else" code path?

The current test vectors DO go through the "else" code path. Do you
want me to test the "if" code path ?

I add one test vector for vms which goes through the "if" code path.

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/pull/1661/files

#define MAX_KEYS_PER_CRYPT 1
static struct fmt_tests tests[] = {
+ {"$V$S44zI913bBx-UJrcFSC------D", "President#44"},
{"$V$9AYXUd5LfDy-aj48Vj54P-----", "USER"},
{"$V$p1UQjRZKulr-Z25g5lJ-------", "service"},
{NULL}

The old test vectors go through the "else" code path, so I thought
it should not set FMT_CASE, the new test vector goes through
the "if" code path, and it does case-sensitive. So vms should set
FMT_CASE, no need to change.

Thanks,

Kai