Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 10:06:26 +0800
From: Kai Zhao <loverszhao@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --test-full=0 crashes the Bitcoin format

Hi Alexander,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 3:04 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Hi Kai,
>
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 08:14:11AM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
>> I will debug this crash.
>
> Can you explain what you're trying to achieve by running:
>
> kai      11232 1700  0.0 2413320 7436 ?        Sl   Aug12 25756:30 ./john --test-full=0 --format=bitcoin
>
> for a day now?  Are you hoping to trigger this crash?  If so, no, I
> don't expect you will: I only saw it happen (twice) when running
> "--test-full=0" without "--format=bitcoin".  It is quite clear that
> having other formats test-full'ed prior to Bitcoin is a prerequisite to
> triggering this crash.

I keep it running for a day because Agnieszka wanted me to keep running
a job and he needs that to debug. Sorry for the inconvenience. Agnieszka
still need me to run my before I went to bed, so I kept it running.

I did reproduce the crash by "--test-full=0 --format=bitcoin". And the crash
information seems the same with yours.

> Also, how did you achieve that this process is running for a day and is
> not terminating?  Normally, even a full test of the Bitcoin format won't
> be taking this long, would it?
>
> And, do you have an idea why this process tends to consume exactly 1700%
> of CPU (17 active threads)?  I checked /proc/11232/environ and to my
> surprise I did not find OMP_NUM_THREADS=17 in there.  Can you explain?

I can not explain why the process tends to consume exactly 1700%.
I did this:

$ ./configure --enable-asan
$ make -sj8
$ ./loop.sh