Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:10:31 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: plaintext truncation

On 08/13/2015 09:05 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 09:02:12PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> On 08/13/2015 08:57 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
>>> OK, I think it should be FMT_TRUNC and it should mean the target
>>> system's truncation, which JtR will replicate (like it does now).
>>
>> But some target systems will truncate or limit the length  in
>> characters, not bytes.
>
> Yes, but we already have this problem.  Do you want us to try to come up
> with a solution for both problems at once?

Not sure how much harder it will be to address both problems at once.
At least, we should be aware of that problem as well.

If we have to collect information for each implemented format, we might
as well collect all available information (such as, limit in characters
or bytes, user-visible limit or "silent" truncation).

Even if, as a first step, we only use that information in
--list=format-all-details output.

Frank