Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 01:49:56 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC: Argon2 on GPU

On 2015-08-06 14:14, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 12:10:33AM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
>> again the same problem as with yescrypt, it's auotuned properly after
>> I divided MEM_SIZE / 4 here:
>>
>> opencl_init_auto_setup(SEED, 0, NULL,
>>          warn, 4, self, create_clobj, release_clobj, MEM_SIZE/4, 0);
>
> magnum - please comment on this, or have you commented on the issue in
> another john-dev thread already?

Does it stop too early because it thinks memory use will be too high?
This format's use of that argument (without the division) looks sane to me.

Division by 4 does ring a bell though: Maybe it's somehow related to the
fact the maximum size of a single allocation in OpenCL is usually just a
quarter of total main memory?

Claudio, are you reading this? Any idea?

magnum