Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 23:44:58 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GitHub wiki

On 2015-08-06 01:32, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 07:22:10PM -0400, jfoug@....net wrote:
>> I am working on a wiki page on github (magnum's repo).  This may not be 100% correct, I still have to test it later tonight, but this should be pretty close.
>>
>> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/wiki/Howto-build-non-root-when-system-does-not-have-OpenSSL
>
> Thanks!
>
> Why are we splitting the wiki into two - Openwall's own and GitHub?
> I think this content should be under:
>
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/development
>
> and the current content of that page moved to a sub-page for historical
> content, or something.
>
> I am OK with our reliance on GitHub for git hosting since all of us have
> full copies of the repository anyway.  I understand why we might want to
> use GitHub issues (integration with git, and have no own issue tracker
> setup).  But why the wiki?

GitHub's wiki is simply a lot easier to work with than Openwall's for
various reasons, including markup language. And I "live" on GitHub so
using that wiki comes very natural. But it's for ourselves, there should
be nothing for end-users there.

So I think we need both wikis, but articles like this one should be
moved to Openwall.

magnum