Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 01:45:31 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC: Argon2 on CPU

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 11:46:58PM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 05:23:55PM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> >> hi, should I add function PHS() or Argon2iOpt()/Argon2dOpt() ?
> >
> > The latter.  It means you should support the "secret", "ad", and "lanes"
> > inputs.  Treat them as part of salt, as far as JtR is concerned.
>
> but secret and ad doesn't affect speed

Yes, just like password and salt do not - yet obviously we support those
inputs.  You may in fact exclude these extra inputs when you're merely
benchmarking, but once Argon2 is finalized and the JtR format may see
some actual use, those inputs need to be supported because a real-world
use of Argon2 might have them specified.  It is OK to wait until Argon2
is finalized before you implement this, if you prefer.

Alexander