Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 23:52:06 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: auditing our use of FMT_* flags

On 07/27/2015 04:01 AM, Kai Zhao wrote:
> I have written a script to check, and change john source code to check
> FMT_SPLIT_UNIFIES_CASE. They are described at:
>
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/07/21/6
>
> I thought there were some problems but they were not.

I don't know whether you considered this, but a format which sets
FMT_SPLIT_UNIFIES_CASE may decide to convert everything into lower case,
and another format may decide to convert everything into upper case.
Both is fine.
So I would use input with mixed upper and lower case letters, and then
see whether the format converts into lower or upper or leaves the input
unchanged (not considering formats where split produces more than one
hash for a single input (like LM format)).

Frank