Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 10:48:41 -0400
From:  <jfoug@....net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
Subject: Re: Default attack format

---- Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com> wrote:
> I think --show=types could do the job: the first format in the first
> line with 1+ formats listed is the default one. But it is in jumbo
> only.

That really gives you no information.  It is all in the valid() return (with a prepare).  Only knowing the format names does not allow you to know if a line is valid within that format.   It is all within the actual logic OF the format itself.   Since there is no API into john exposing the format array, there really is no way to know ATT without allowing john to run on the file.