Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 16:33:57 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Default attack format

On 2015-07-15 16:00, Shinnok wrote:
> Is there a method to find out which format will John attack by
> default for a given password file, for either core or jumbo? We are
> in the process of sorting out the format confusion for Johnny and we
> need to figure out what to do for the default format case.
>
> https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/issues/61

I believe the ultimate answer is "the first format that was registered
[as in fmt_register()] who's valid() doesn't reject all hashes in the file".

For example, LM and various NT alternatives will accept hashes in pwdump
format. LM is registered before NT, so LM wins. I think this is true
even for files that eg. contain both LM and NT and where all uncracked
ones are the latter. It will still pick LM, and say all (of them) were
cracked.

The output of --list=formats is currently in register order.

However, what you need is more like a pre-diagnose for a given file. Not
sure how you should go about that. There are workarounds: For example,
background a `john -stdin hashfile <<< ""` and track the output. This
has the side-effect you will never miss to crack an empty password.

magnum