Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:53:45 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: *2john conversion support

> On Jul 13, 2015, at 5:20 PM, Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com> wrote:
>> The biggest issues stopping us from doing more than what I proposed are:
>> 1. The tools are written in different languages
>> 2. They don't follow an interface for either parameters, input nor output(error reporting, etc..)
>> 3. We don't have a maintainer for those and trying to make heads or tails of it will already take too much of mine and Mathieu's time. We don't even know how many of them are still supposed to work, we don't have a file format/version to script mapping, etc..
>>
>> Maybe for another GSoC, we could have a potential task up for 2john script maintainer, to take care of converting them to a single scripting language, normalize to a single interface for parameters, input and output, test them and write some documentation. And after that work is done, Johnny could pick the results up and make more of it through an UI.
>
> I can probably pull this off in a weekend (or two).
>
> What is the expected output of this new unified single script (or
> program)? Can it just print a bunch of hashes for a given input file?

Misunderstanding here. I never mentioned a master script. What I was hinting at is a common unified interface that all scripts follow. Both arguments and stdin/stdout should follow the interface rules, Magnum's followup to this thread has a nice writeup on that. The other thing was that it's probably best to attempt to convert most scripts to a single language, agreed by all.

Shinnok