Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 15:29:44 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: *2john conversion support

> On Jul 8, 2015, at 9:42 PM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your answers. It helped me !
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Shane Quigley <shane_quigley@...mail.com <mailto:shane_quigley@...mail.com>> wrote:
> Presume *2john is referring to the support of the conversion scripts ussually in python which convert a format into a format john can take in e.g. pdf2john or office2john. Have a look at the docs in the repo
>
> Regards,
>
> ShaneQful
>
> On Tue Jul 7 17:56:25 2015 GMT+0100, Mathieu Laprise wrote:
> > In another sprint, I'll have to implement *2john conversion support in
> > Johnny. I have no idea what 2*john is so I want to figure it out before
> > this sprint arrives. Could you please lead me to some documentation to help
> > me understand what this task is about ? Thanks

I guess we can't rely on magic formats or mime types for most of these exotic files types, so I'm thinking that the best we can do is add a separate button next to open password file or better yet make the existing one a QToolbutton with a dropdown of all 2john formats supported(hardcoded?). Then the user selects a specific password db format from the list, is prompted with a File open dialog and upon selection we run the tool on it and open a new session with the results.

This will only work for jumbo I'd assume, since the scripts are only available for it. As for the actual invocation of the scripts, all we can do is call via QProcess(which will most likely do system()). If any errors are encountered(interpreter not found, script error) we display a warning message box and the afferent output to the Console Log.

Shinnok

Content of type "text/html" skipped