Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 19:41:36 +0200
From: Albert Veli <albert.veli@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: *2john conversion support

Note that the xxx2john scripts are like python and perl scripts so you have
to run them as separate processes somehow (many alternatives to do that,
like popen, fork, system etc) and save the output as an input file to john
itself. Most of the 2john scripts output one or more lines that john
understands. Also note that it is pretty hard to securely spawn an external
process. But the first step is probably to make it just work.

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
wrote:

> > In another sprint, I'll have to implement *2john conversion support in
> > Johnny. I have no idea what 2*john is so I want to figure it out before
> this
> > sprint arrives. Could you please lead me to some documentation to help me
> > understand what this task is about ? Thanks
>
> In john's run directory (we are talking about jumbo not core) you
> should have plenty of *2john files like 7z2john, cisco2john and so on.
> There are for conversion between many file formats to a string
> reckognizable by john. As an excersice you can try to crack mozilla's
> master password. Many examples of usage *2john tools are linked here:
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/tutorials
>
> I don't feel authorized to instruct you about what is to be done in
> this task, so probably Aleksey will explain it.
>
> Thanks,
> Lukas

Content of type "text/html" skipped