Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 11:01:48 +0800
From: Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: extend SIMD intrinsics

I found some more problems.

As x86's vector type is element-type-agnostic, some intrinsics are also type agnostic, e.g. _mm_load_si128 & _mm_and_si128, which can be used for whatever types of integer vectors. However, AltiVec strictly distinguishes among different vector types. To load a 'vector int' from memory, you must pass a 'int*' pointer to vec_ld(); 'void*' or any other types of pointer would trigger a compile error. This means, like we divide vtype into vtype32 and vtype64, we may have to divide vload into vload_epi32 and vload_epi64, and other intrinsics alike.

I took a look at ARM's NEON intrinsics, which, like AltiVec, also  distinguishes among different vector types. So a element-type-aware interface of pseudo-intrinsics may be more generally applicable.

Another thing that bothered me is the use of SIMD_COEF_32/SIMD_COEF_64. For SIMD archs that support both int32 and int64 operations, SIMD_COEF_64 is certainly half of SIMD_COEF_32. I think the use of SIMD_COEF_64 is for SIMD archs that lack int64 support, where you can detect the absence of SIMD_COEF_64, and then use int32 intrinsics only. Unfortunately, many formats in JtR just simply check the presence of SIMD_COEF_32, and then assume the host arch supports both int32 & int64 intrinsics. This already caused me troubles. As AltiVec lacks some int64 intrinsics, I want to temporarily disable the use of int64 intrinsics, and consider emulating them later. So I only defined SIMD_COEF_32 but not SIMD_COEF_64. However, many formats just assume the co-existence of SIMD_COEF_64 with SIMD_COEF_32, and give me a bunch of compile errors when SIMD_COEF_64 isn't there.

I think either we should enforce every SIMD-capable target to support both int32 and int64 operations (by emulation if necessary), or we should make it clear that int64 intrinsics (or functions that rely on them, like SSESHA512body) shouldn't be used without the presence of SIMD_COEF_64.

Lei