Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 17:21:03 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC: Lyra2 on GPU

On 07/04/2015 05:08 PM, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
>> Are these higher speeds reproducible on actual cracking runs?  Please test.
>
> what means 'reproducible on actual cracking runs' ?

You put the lyra sample hashes into a file, and measure the actual speed
you get for real cracking runs, and see how it compares to the speeds
for --test

Make sure you don't crack any passwords in your test runs.

E.g., run
./john --incremenatal=digits --min-length=8 --max-length=8 sample_hashes

for a while, and check the status line after pressing any key.

min-length = max-length = 8 is used because when incremental mode
switches length, this comes with a performance penalty, and at the start
of a cracking session, incremental mode would switch the length frequently.
Further, I suggested --incremental)digits, because your lyra test hashes
currently don't have digits-only passwords.

Frank