Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 17:09:16 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: precomputed attacks for john: rainbow tables and other ways

I'd recommend checking out the following paper since it talks about some of
the trade-offs involved with various TMTO approaches:

http://www.cs.ru.nl/~fabianbr/TMTO.pdf

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of Rainbow Tables, or I should say I'm
skeptical of their general usefulness outside of some specialized use
cases. That being said, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong!

Side note, to back up what Aleksey said, Rainbow Tables, (or Hellman
Tables), don't have to be charset based. As long as you have a fast
indexing function you can create dictionary based rainbow tables too. The
method described by Aleksy is very much like the PRINCE attack. If you want
to look at some of the issues with other rule based rainbow tables you
might want to check out Chapter 4 of my dissertation where I did some
research on the subject.

https://sites.google.com/site/reusablesec/Home/presentations-and-papers/Weir_C_Dissertation_2010.pdf

The biggest issue is by going to a dictionary based approach you can
introduce collisions in the index_to_plain function which isn't a problem
in character based RTs. Collisions in Rainbow Tables are much worse than
collisions in a normal cracking session so it helps to put extra thought in
how to avoid those.

Good luck!
Matt

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Alain Espinosa <alainesp@...ta.cu> wrote:

> [...]