Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 21:43:13 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Jumbo & Johnny Windows Problem (was Windows event loop)

> On Jun 10, 2015, at 7:03 PM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com <mailto:mathlaprise@...il.com>> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com <mailto:mathlaprise@...il.com>> wrote:
> I'm talking about latest bleeding-jumbo from github build with cygwin. Also, the recent windows build from Rich on the wiki does the same. Magnum did update to the relevant core version 10 days ago , see commit https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/commit/84a51961f7b8bb8d84c2134aba895f6348740826 <https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/commit/84a51961f7b8bb8d84c2134aba895f6348740826> . I'll try to get a crash dump today
> EDIT : The cvsimport is this commit https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/commit/6f7a493d354712fedd579cdc94e142cc318e77f1 <https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/commit/6f7a493d354712fedd579cdc94e142cc318e77f1>
>
> I used "make debug" on cygwin for jumbo. I used johnny to start john, attached the process to 1) Visual Studio and 2) The windows task manager. After that, I pushed the pause button which does in Johnny : FreeConsole(); AttachConsole(processId()); GenerateConsoleCtrlEvent(CTRL_C_EVENT,0); FreeConsole();
>
> I usually get a .pdb file when I build stuff with visual studio for symbols which is supposed to help with the crash dump but I don't see it with cygwin, I don't know if it's normal. I got 2 .dmp file that are 235 Mo each. I have already tried to analyze crash dump from my Windows 8 apps in the past and I never had success, I don't really understand that stuff and I don't know if this dump is in a usable state. I attached a link from my google drive to the VS crash dump.​
>  johnVS.dmp <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7lV48F7sPRdUmF4OHlhZ2FKVms/edit?usp=drive_web>​

Hey Mathieu,

Thanks for digging further. The dmp on GDrive requires permissions somehow. Still not sure how useful is that dmp.
A better approach would be to attach to the spawned JtR with the gdb in cygwin and then make it crash. GDB should pause and offer a stack trace. Then you can follow with the usual GDB commands such as:
* bt all
* info locals
* info threads
* info registers