Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 22:59:00 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] Task 1.6.1 Multiple cracking session management

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 10:21 AM, Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org> wrote:
>
> On 06/05/2015 09:06 AM, Shinnok wrote:
>> Yes. That is multiple concurrent cracking sessions via a tabbed
>> interface. What you implemented so far is just session history, keep
>> working on it though as it'll get its own task. I like the screenshot
>> you have on Github, but wee need to do something about the names. The
>> dates are not enough, maybe also add the source password files as
>> tooltips. Later maybe we should be able to name sessions.
>
> Isn't allowing end users to run multiple john sessions in parallel
> asking for trouble? I think providing help to not accidentally overwrite
> old .rec files, suggesting which of the existing sessions were most
> successful (number of cracks for a given hash type per time) and which
> should be resumed first for the best result etc. might be much more helpful.
> If you allow multiple sessions at once, you cannot provide these numbers
> any longer, because you never know the system load during these
> sessions. (OK, you don't *know* that even if you don't allow multiple
> john sessions at the same time, but I think it is OK to assume almost no
> other load in this case.)

I'm also not 100% convinced anymore we need more than just session history at this point. This needs much more thinking and a couple more prerequisite tasks before we can embark in this journey, which could get hairy. Like the Settings one, Mathieu, so at this point that one takes priority over this one. After you finish the session history of course.

I'm lacking the time to scour for the e-mails that consolidated the need for running multiple sessions concurrently, I faintly remember some arguments from Aleksey, so maybe he can get back to us on this matter.

Shinnok